Wednesday, November 25, 2009

Day Ninety or A Funny Thing Happened...

Hi guys. I'm a lousy blogger this week. I've been posting intermittently and I've not been good about visiting, so sorry. I wish everyone a super-duper (yes, I said super-duper, could've done totally awesome but I went with my heart!) Thanksgiving. I have so very much for which to be thankful, not the least of which is this blog and those of you whom I have met via this crazy journey of mine. I've said it before but thanks for being my friends, my shoulders, my support.

Now I have a funny story to recount from my Fried Momma Sunday.

"Funny, haha. Traci? Or funny, weird?"

"Well, I think funny, haha, but you can tell me after". So here goes...

Flashback, Sunday afternoon. This particular Mommy still recovering her voice. Still feeling low. Sent Daddy to grocery store. In the absence of any speaking parent, sonny-bunny and little princess get a little crazy. Well, a lot crazy. Just as Daddy is bringing in bags, spinning little princess collides with sonny-bunny. Full-on head butt. Cue screams and copious amounts of blood. Coming from the mouth.

Swoop up sonny-bunny and run to the local clinic that has Sunday hours. Six year-old in arms, Spider man ice pack to mouth. We run in to admitting. They call a pediatric nurse. Moments later, a very calm "seen-it-all' style nurse comes to us. She takes a look and starts telling us how she doesn't think that he needs anything. And then over her shoulder like some bizarre parrot-nurse spoke Miss Perky.

Well, Miss Perky (At least 10 years younger than I. No, if I'm honest, probably closer to 15) thinks we should admit him to ensure that there is no underlying tissue damage. And then the first nurse (we'll call her Nurse Cool) turns around and says, "I've got this" and then turns back to me and says "Interruptus". Now, anyone in their right mind would have thought that would have been enough to shut down Miss Perky. But they underestimated the power of the Perk.

Now don't get me wrong. I'm cheerful. I don't mind happy, optimistic, positive, etc. But when my son is bleeding all over my new-to-me J. Crew sweater, I don't want peppy or perky. I want calm, cool, possibly even jaded. And that's what I got with Nurse Cool.

So I'm trying desperately to listen to Nurse Cool but Miss Perky couldn't stop herself. Finally Nurse Cool shut her down. And sent her on her way. Then sent us on our way. And she was right. Sonny-Bunny is fine. No stitches needed. Just a bizarre half mustache of blue and purple on one side.

"Say, Traci, that definitely wasn't funny, haha. It was marginally funny weird".

"Yeah, I know, but here's come the marginally haha part and definitely weird part."

I'm recounting the surreal events to my friend, FW, and she says that she thinks that she knows Nurse Cool. Especially when I describe her over-the shoulder "interruptus". So she calls her and yes, her friend was my calm, Nurse Cool. I don't know how she puts up with Miss Perky. But thank you, Nurse Cool. You saved us three hours and $100 plus way too much time with Miss Perky.

So that its my marginally funny, slightly weird, but not really ironic recounting of my Fried Momma Sunday. Thanks for listening kids. And have a great Thanksgiving!

5 comments:

Formerly known as Frau said...

Great story! Hope you and yours have a wonderful Thanksgiving!

mommakin said...

It's a small world (after all).

Happy Thanksgiving to you and yours, Traci!

F said...

Saw nurse cool today... She is really great, isn't she? I love that girl. So glad that it wasn't worse for your sonny bunny.

Claudya Martinez said...

So glad there wasn't any underlying tissue damage. Way to stress out a mom Nurse Perky.

Tracie said...

I'm glad the damage was minimal. I don't trust people who are too perky or too thin.

I hope you had a great Thanksgiving!