Sunday, October 11, 2009

Day Forty - Five or I Cooked!!!







On this rainy, yucky day in Austin, it was a perfect day for the warmth of friendship and food around a stove. So AW opened her lovely home and hearth to me. She was a very patient teacher, even when I knocked not one but two boxes of Chex cereal on her otherwise clean kitchen floor.


We started at HEB and bought all the necessary ingredients including fresh veggies for the primavera. Here is the menu:

1st Course -- Salad
Baby Greens and Red Romaine Lettuce with Walnuts, Pine Nuts (and a few pecans that I accidentally threw in thinking I grabbed the walnut bag), and Golden Crisp apples drizzled with Pear Vinagrette and Olive Oil -- Absolutely as Fabulous as it sounds!

2nd Course -- Entree
Pasta Primavera with Bow-Tie Pasta -- We made the sauce from a marinara base with lightly sauteed (oooh! a cooking word!) squash, zucchini, and orange bell peppers. Yum, yum, yummy!


3rd Course -- Dessert
Muddy Buddy -- what is that you say? It is a GLORIOUS concoction made from a mix of Rice and Corn Chex, melted peanut butter, chocolate, and butter, and wait for it... wait for it... POWDERED SUGAR! I am not sure that I truly understood the meaning of the word 'decadent' before this afternoon.
The challenge was to make a meal that was not only edible but delicious -- I succeeded!!!!
At the end of the day, I have not only checked off a challenge, I have broken bread with a friend, nourished my body and my soul, and done something that makes me nervous -- COOK! I can put my head on the pilow tonight knowing that I stretched myself, challenged and grew a little bit taller. To that I say "Yay!"

4 comments:

Claudya Martinez said...

So proud of you!

Anonymous said...

Can you publish the dessert recipe? I would love to try it.

Traci said...

So here's the recipe. (I do believe that this may be the first recipe I have ever shared. Very cool!)

9 cups of Chex cereal (any Chex will work -- I used a combination of Corn and Rice)

1 cup semisweet chocolate chips

1/2 cup peanut butter

1/4 cup butter/margarine

1 teaspoon vanilla

1 1/2 cups powdered sugar

Directions:
1) Pour the cereal into a large bowl (Trust me, the larger the bowl, the better); set aside.

2) Use a 1 quart microwaveable bowl, microwave the chocolate chips, peanut butter, and the butter for 1 minute on High. Stir. Heat another 30 seconds (or until it stirs smoothly). Add vanilla. Stir. Pour over cereal thoroughly coating the Chex. Pour into a 2-gallon ziploc style bag. (A one gallon bag will work but the it doesn't coat as evenly).

3) Pour in powdered sugar. Seal bag and shake until well-coated. I put it in the fridge to chill while still in the bag but if you want it to be prettier, spread it out on a cookie sheet to chill.

Makes 18 1/2 cups servings

Thanks for asking and thanks to AW for shring the recipe with me.
:-)

Amira said...

I had a fabulous time, we simply must get together again soon ,dahling. :)