Saturday, December 19, 2009

Day 114 or A Not So Little Loss

Hi everyone. First, let me again thank everyone who has shared their thoughts and prayers for my FIL. So far so good. He is doing well at home and we are optimistic that things are turning for the better. We will know more in the New Year and I shall update you all then.

While I feel very blessed to share that good news with you, I am sad to report that today was a very hard day for me. Today, my husband and I had to have our dear cat, Tuna Boy, put to sleep. A companion for longer than our marriage, he has been all over the country with us and a dear part of our family for nearly sixteen years. I have no doubt that we made the loving choice today but it was a difficult and painful one only exasperated by having to explain to our two children why their beloved pet had to leave them. I know that I am not unique to such a loss but it is a profound one.

I beg indulgence from my kind bloggers so overdue in their thanks as I postpone my anticipated celebratory post. I have not forgotten you and I look forward to being in a much better frame of mind to share my appreciation. For the moment, I am going to take a little time to process this not-so-little loss.

16 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am very sorry to hear of your loss..that is an extremely painful task...Im thinking of you and your family..!!

ChiaLynn said...

That is such a difficult to decision to make, and such a hard thing to go through. Big hugs.

ChiaLynn said...

BTW, you've got some condolences coming in on Twitter, too. :)

Claudya Martinez said...

Traci, I'm so very sorry.

Mama-Face said...

I'm so so sorry. Take care.

xoxo

Menopausal New Mom said...

Oh so sorry for your loss. Signing the papers for that final trip to the vet can be one of the most stressful things. I had to do that for my beautiful Border Collie when she was almost 15. I took comfort in knowing that she had been well loved her entire life and had a wonderful 15 years with us although she also gave to us. I'm so sorry for your loss, I'm sure where ever Tuna Boy is, he knows that he was loved and cherished.

Nikia, May and da kids said...

Hang in there. I don't own any pets but I know people who do, consider their pet a family member. I do hope your Christmas moves towards being joyful after all you have been through.

May

Andrea said...

Oh no. We had a similar situation recently and our own old man cat passed on his own. The vet let us borrow a beautiful book titled, Cat Heaven. It is too sweet and really helped. It's a terribly sad experience, losing a pet and I know that you must miss him something awful. Hugs to you and I'm thinking of you. Please let me know if you need to talk.

Betty Manousos said...

Traci, i'm very, very sorry. I had a similar situation with my mom's dog.I know how difficult it is.
Take care . I send you a BIG HUG.
much love!!
P.S.Please mail me if you need to talk.

Traci said...

Thank you all for your kind, kind words. I feel so blessed right now to have such lovely people in my world.
XOXO

Lorenza said...

Traci I am sorry, I know what kind of love pets can give us. I hope your cat is going to be human in a future life.

Nancy C said...

I'm so sorry. When you say goodbye to a pet, it's truly like closing the door on years of shared memories. Take your time, and celebrate when you're ready.

Anonymous said...

Hi Traci...don't know if you received my email, but I wanted to stop by your page and say hi!

I am sorry to hear about your cat... I look forward to catching up with you and thank you for the SS gifts!

Many Blessings, Candi

Amira said...

I was surprised by how old Tuna Boy was. He clearly was a well-traveled, well-loved, and happy animal that enjoyed a full kitty life. Sorry for your loss.

chitra said...

Sorry to hear about that!
take care

Felicity Grace Terry said...

You must be feeling such mixed emotions at present. Joy at the thought of FIL doing well and such sorow over the loss of Tuna Boy. An experience we have had to endure several times and such an awful, difficult decision to make as on the one hand our heads are telling us we cannot let our beloved pets suffer and yet our hearts are telling us something else. My heart goes out to you all.