Saturday, December 26, 2009

Day 121 or A Call to Action

I have always loved the song "Happy Christmas" by John Lennon, Yoko Ono and the Plastic Ono Band. The combination of Lennon's melancholy voice paired with the soaring background of children from the Harlem Community Choir sets a unique tone balancing joy and sadness, maybe even frustration with an imperfect world. Just as in "Imagine", Lennon sets up a paradigm where hope is not enough, there is a challenge to see and make a better world. It's really more of a New Year's Song than Christmas.

And I admit to being a New Year junkie. I love the clean slate. I love the fresh new calendar, the first journal page unspoiled by failings and angst. I know that it is just a day and one can restart their life at any time but I just love the "feel" of the New Year. I re-set and look to make the next year productive and happy (and a little bit successful would not be bad!) I renew my dreams, goals, and set unreasonable expectations on myself. (The last part is ironic because I am absolutely aware and I still consciously choose to set those standards -- you know exercise everyday, don't yell at my kids, get up at 5 a.m., etc.)

So, as I am always a work in progress, I have to think of my place and impact on the world. And this song reminds me of that. So this is Christmas and what ave you done? Another year over, a new one just begun. This year I am going to set goals (reasonable or otherwise) that are about more than me. My little world. The world is not going to be affected nearly so if I don't learn to knit or speak Mandarin as it will if I don't recycle or I curse at another driver. So here are the words that are my call to action. I won't say that my list won't include a litany of self-improvement tasks (because it will -- you know a girl's got to do what a girl's got to do) but there is room for a bigger view. So maybe next year, I'll know how to answer what have you done.

So this is Christmas
And what have you done
Another year over
And a new one just begun

And so this is Christmas
I hope you have fun
The near and the dear one
The old and the young

A very merry Christmas
And a happy New Year
Let's hope it's a good one
Without any fear

And so this is Christmas
For weak and for strong
For rich and the poor ones
The world is so wrong

And so happy Christmas
For black and for white
For yellow and red ones
Let's stop all the fight

A very merry Christmas
And a happy New Year
Let's hope it's a good one
Without any fear

And so this is Christmas
And what have we done
Another year over
And a new one just begun

And so this is Christmas
I hope you have fun
The near and the dear one
The old and the young

A very merry Christmas
And a happy New Year
Let's hope it's a good one
Without any fear
War is over over
If you want it
War is over
Now...

14 comments:

Theta Mom said...

I love this song and what a great message! It does make us reflect on the year and the hopes for the next.

Hope your holiday was great!

Lorenza said...

Traci it is amazing, at the same time while you were writing your post, I was writing mine: different content but some common sides.
I always think "stand up and act"... Good to think about commitment

XX

Nancy C said...

I adore this song. Wonderful post.

Nikia, May and da kids said...

Every time I hear this song, I think about the line "And so this is Christmas. And what have we done? Another year over. And a new one just begun." It makes me think about just that, what have I done that was significant in my life this past year and what will I change in the New Year.

I have read some blogs that are setting "realistic" goals in 2010. I too will appreciate doing that. I'd like to clear some of the "realistic goals" off of my bucket list as well.

Are you sure the world won't be affected if you don't learn Mandarin?? I wish you well in your goal setting and a Happy New Year, let's hope it's a good one, without any fear ...

May

Felicity Grace Terry said...

I agree, a very thought provoking song.
I know just what you mean about New Year but I gave up on all that goal setting thing - I never achieved all my goals and always ended up disappointed. Good luck with yours though, especially the learning of Mandarin (LOL)

Claudya Martinez said...

I think this year you've started a blog that is helping you figure out who you've become.

Andrea said...

I love that song. It's so pretty. I hope your New year brings you much love and joy, and that we all find out more about ourselves, along with the successful attempts at reaching whatever goals we deem to be most important!

chitra said...

Hope you had a nice Christmas.Loved the song

Mandee said...

What a great idea! Love the song and the message it sends! :) Hope your Christmas was great and your New Years is too! :)

Mama-Face said...

OMGosh...I love this song as well. It is one of my very most favorites. It affects me in a different way though; it speaks to the melancholy feeling I get at this time of year.

Music is so interesting; I love to really read the lyrics of songs I love.

Hope your holidays have been and are joyful; I've been out of the loop for a while and will probably be in and out of it for a while still.

:)

AudreyO said...

You know each morning when we wake up, we get a chance to start over. We get to choose how that day is going to play out. We get to make choices and decisions to make the day the best it can be :)

Menopausal New Mom said...

I love that song too. Such a talent!

Carol said...

ditto, love that song

Tracie said...

I love that song so much. It's one of my favorites. Very meaningful.