Tuesday, September 22, 2009

Day Twenty - Five

I love the movie "Rudy". If you haven't seen it, see it! The film stars Sean Astin as a real life Notre Dame football hero, Daniel Ruettiger. He's not a hero in the traditional sports movie sense. Rudy could not be less built for football success. He's 5'6" and 165 lbs. but he LOVES Notre Dame football. His dream is to play for the Fighting Irish. Not a likely dream.

Now I don't want to ruin the film for anyone, but I'll say this. I have never watched the film without needing kleenex and without feeling inspired. This guy never gives up. He had a dream, a charging at windmills kind of dream. But he believed and he gave it everything - tears, sweat, and blood; determination enough for five NCAA teams. So, my hat is off to you, Mr. Ruettiger (and to you , Mr. Astin). Thanks for the tears and the inspiration.

So in my quest for growth, I wonder "am I chasing windmills?" And if I am, is that so terrible? If life is the journey, not the destination, than is an impossible dream better than no dream at all? I think that it's like the old adage, it's better to have loved and lost than to have never loved at all. Well, I've loved and lost a little, dreamed and lost a lot but I still choose love and I still choose to dream. Here's to windmills, impossible dreams, and mountains to climb.

1 comment:

Claudya Martinez said...

I love that movie! Keep chasin' windmills, Baby!